Sunday, October 09, 2005

Classes

I’m taking four classes this term, plus an advising seminar. At MIT, everything is referred to by number. We love numbers at MIT. All the buildings are numbered, all the courses are numbered, and we use the numbers all the time. For example, many of my lectures are in 10-250. This means building 10, 2nd floor, room 250. Each course has a number (5 is chemistry, 8 is physics, 18 is mathematics etc.) I’m thinking about majoring in course 10, which is chemical engineering. Many people (about 23%) major in course 6 (electrical engineering and computer science).

So far I have had a steady workload, but I still have some free time. I actually don’t mind the work too much. I’ve noticed that having a positive attitude really helps things. It depend upon the class how long each problem set (pset) takes me. I spend most of my nights doing homework, but I’ve been able to take almost a day off on the weekend (not last weekend however, as I had a paper and a test to study for). I’ve been able to go to bed around 12 and wake up at 8 (my earliest class it at 9, and sometimes I don’t have class until 12 or 1!). So getting sleep is not a problem if you pace yourself. Waiting until the last minute to do things is definitely NOT a good idea. If you come to MIT, prepare to work your butt off. So far though, it’s really not that bad. I’m enjoying myself even with the work. The first semester at MIT is pass/no record, so all you have to do is pass all your classes and you’re fine! It’s a great help in adjusting to MIT and college life in general.

At MIT there are a certain number of core requirements you must complete to graduate. These include:

-2 semesters of calculus (18.01/18.02 or 18.012/18.022 or another variation)
-2 semesters of physics (8.01/8.02 or 8.012/8.022)
-1 semester of biology (7.012, 7.013, or 7.014)
-1 semester of chemistry (5.111, 5.112, or 3.091)
-8 Humanities classes

For each class, if the number is a 1 after the main course number, it is the first level. (After taking 8.01 physics I will take 8.02 physics). In general, introductory classes with a higher number than 1 after them mean that they are more challenging. For example, I have a few friends in 8.012, which is pretty much the same curriculum as 8.01 physics, but they give you harder problems. Same for 18.012/18.022. Annelise is taking 18.023, which is the same as my class but with practical applications, supposedly it is a little easier, but that is open to debate.

Chemistry 5.112:

I’m taking 5.112 (five-eleven-two) which is the advanced introductory chemistry class. The psets for this class are easier than the ones for my other classes (partly because some of it is review, and partly because I seem to have a knack for chemistry). I think this pset only takes about 3-4 hours for me to do. I have one pset per week. The teacher for 5.112 is really enthusiastic and she’s easy to understand. It’s nice because they give you the lecture notes before the lecture, so you can just add to them and actually pay attention to the professor. I have three lectures per week and two recitations per week with a graduate student. So far I have found the TA to be helpful in the recitation.

Physics 8.01:

For physics I’m taking 8.01 (eight-o-one). This is the basic physics class for mechanics (8.02 is electricity and magnetism). I really like physics so far. The physics problems are challenging on the psets, but they are not impossible. I have fun doing the homework because the problems do more with things in real life. We have one pset per week and also problems online twice per week (they are in a program called Mastering Physics). My AP Physics B class was great preparation for 8.01, since most of it is review. Our classroom is really cool because there are screens all over the walls so that the professor can be viewed any way you are seating (there are many round tables throughout the room). We do many experiments with the help of software, and we also have challenging problems to work on in class every Friday.

Multivariable Calculus 18.02

Since I received a 5 on the AP Calculus BC test, I placed out of 18.01 and I am taking 18.02 (eighteen-o-two). This is my hardest class at the moment since everything is new to me. I’ve found that reading the textbook before going to lecture greatly helps me absorb the material (this is good advice for any high school or college class in general). The last two psets probably took me around 10 hours each (for the most recent pset, I spent an entire night trying to solve the last problem by myself…..I should have asked someone for help. I got it eventually though). 18.02 is interesting and I am glad I am challenging myself by taking it. Many people opted to take 18.01A which is an accelerated course that leads into 18.02A. They cover the same material, but they review some single variable calculus and finish the class during the January independent activities period (IAP).

The Ancient World: Greece 21H.301

You have to take about 8 HASS classes (humanities arts and social sciences) in order to graduate at MIT. This equals one per semester. I’m taking a Greek History class. I always loved Greek myths as a child, and so this class is fun for me. We are reading ancient texts such as Herodotus and Thucydides and the Iliad. Both Herodotus and Thucydides are actually quite easy to read, and they are very interesting. The HASS classes are supposed to be easier than your other classes, and I’ve found that the reading does not take me very long (I’d say at most three hours per week). I have to write four seven-page papers though, which I’m not looking forward to. I love reading, but I don’t generally like analytical writing about literature.

The Magic of Magnets Advising Seminar

At MIT there are many types of advising:
-Traditional advising. This is regular advising, you have an adult assigned to you and you meet with them every so often
-Residential Based Advising (RBA). Certain dorms have RBA. This is similar to regular advising there is more of a community atmosphere, so it is more social.
-Advising seminars. You are assigned an advisor and you meet as a group each week to discuss a certain topic. In this way you get to meet more people and you get to learn something.

I really like my advising seminar. My advisor is very enthusiastic and funny. He wrote the book we’re reading: The Magic of Magnets. I would suggest that anyone interested in learning more about science should read it. Even if you do not have a strong science background, it is easy to understand. You will learn so many things, like how a VCR and TV work, how we get electricity, and a myriad of other things you probably did not know about magnets (they don’t just sit on your fridge, we depend on them for many things in our everyday lives!). Each week we have a short reading and writing assignment, so it doesn’t take much time. I have met some cool people and I am also learning a lot of really neat science, so I’m glad I decided to do the seminar.

I think that’s it for classes, at least for now.

No comments: